
Last night I had my first Reel Pros Casting Director workshop. I'm not sure if I ever talked about what these are or not...
Casting Director workshops are where you pay to meet with the CD or their associate (who normally does the grunt work in the office of calling people in and reading them for the first time for a role, which is called a Pre-Read) and read a scene for them from one of the shows that they cast or a pilot they are about to cast.
Now I know you are asking yourself - why the hell would you pay to meet with someone who should, by all rights, audition you for free? Your paying to audition? That doesn't seem fair or even legal.
Well, it's like this - if you want to get a new account at work, you take the client out to eat, or golf, you pay to network with them. These events can then be written off at the end of the year because it was a buisness expense. Same thing, you are paying to "play golf" with this CD you want to call you in, only your version of golf is doing a two minute funny or sad scene with a partner, not playing the back 9.
Now Reel Pros is a play that host these CD workshops for a cost, and it isn't all. In the current climate of the entertainment industry they are a way to get seen by offices that don't send out breakdowns (this is what the agents get everyday, that have the rolls broken down in them, listing all the films and shows that need what kind of actors). Lots of these CD's say they cast from these sessions, or call in actors from them all the time - it exposes them to actor they otherwise would not have even known about PLUS it gives the actor a chance to get out and work-out their acting chops and audition skills! All in all, a good deal.
As such, I had my first Reel Pros session last night - with Russel Scott. He works on such great shows as "Notes from the Underbelly" and "My Boys". I did short scene from "Notes" - it was a little funny, got a few laughs and overall I felt like it was a good night. Not a homerun, but hey, you don't always need to homer to win the game - you just need to score, and that is what I feel like, looking at it today, I did.
Friday I have an agent meeting, similar to the CD workshop, at Reel Pros with two good Theatrical Agencies. Should be good - I will update afterward.
Other news:
For those that know, or knew, about the money trouble I was having with my Ex-Agent, that has been worked out as of yesterday. Good things are happening.
I am in full body reboot - hitting the gym 6+ days a week - spin class 3 to 4 times a week, 3 days of gym time hitting the weights and eating 1000 times better than ever in my life. I am down to 190 lbs from 210... the midsection is almost extra-baggage free! The goal is around 180 - almost there.
I am getting new headshots Nov 1st (give or take a day - based on when Tucker can shoot) - so I got get in great shape - making it happen one day at a time.
Make sure to check out my reel on Myspace.com/jasonlovett and/or YouTube!
Going to see King Lear with Sir Ian McKellen on Sunday the 21st! I cannot wait! This is a once in a lifetime experience!
Mailing for theatre company memberships went into the mail today - among those mailed out to: The Rubicon, The Old Globe, and The Road Theatre.
No word on the Bud Lite - the callback time has come and gone, so next time.
This weekend I have a class, thru Steppenwolf (my scene study place), with the artistic director of the Geffen Playhouse about how to audition for theatre. I want to get into some of their shows - that is one of the best theatres in LA!
God bless my dad, he just got out of surgery yesterday and is doing great!
My nephew Jaeden has a joke for everyone - how my sides does a circle have? Give up? Two - an inSIDE and an outSIDE! Ha ha ha! Love ya buddy!
Well... not much news other than that.
Love and misses to all.
J.
PS - give me feedback on the new look - we are going thru some re-development of this corner of the internet. Love!

2 comments:
It's too blue.
On the new site here's my two cents. The Art Director in me is out Rarrr... I let you beat me later with a wet rubber hose if I get too bossy.
With that being said I'll get down to business:
The reversed out type everywhere makes it hard to focus on something in particular. Even though there are different font sizes, it makes it seem very unstructured and lacking heirarchy which makes it difficult to navigate as well. I suggest playing with another color, a complimentary font, or thinner weight for the body copy.
Also the header is a little generic looking. At first I thought some marketing company that sells domain names stole your site. That was the feel I got of the look I mean. Also the pink, blue and white text on the black background is a little too DOS/Tron for me. It's feeling kinda big and bulky to me overall.
It also matters as to what vehicle you want your blog to be. Is it something just for friends? Or is it something you want agents and other potential employers to see? That makes a difference too.
Like the headshots!
-CoNfUsIoN Out-
Post a Comment